Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving just days away, it seems the appropriate time to give thanks for all things. I know there are many people out there who have lost their jobs, are wondering how they are going to put food on the table and presents under a tree. The morale is down, the hope diminishing, and faiths being tested. As crazy as it sounds, these are all the reasons that we should be looking even deeper inside ourselves and be thankful for the blessings that we have received. And in that, we need to give thanks were it's due. Our pastor challenged us today to dig as far back into our memories as we can, write down all of the blessings that we have received, and give thanks to God. So, I figured I'd start my list here.

*~* Giving me a mom that allowed for uniqueness between my twin sister and I, and loving us as individuals. She also taught all of us girls how to love unselfishly, with or without reciprocation, and to express that love. She supported me the best she could in everything I did. I always knew how much my mom loved me.

*~* My twin sister that has often been the rock I lean on during times of uncertainty, the hand I've held when I've been too afraid to face what's in front of me alone, and one of the few people I can be completely transparent with. I'm so grateful to have such an intimate bond with another person. She is the friend that I'll have until I take my last breath on earth.

*~* My older sister for providing guidance and security in those times where we could only cling to each other for safety. She was the person we could talk to about all of our problems and learn to how go through them with dignity, and not take unnecessary flack.

*~* All of the hurts, heartaches, storms and times in the wilderness. Although some of them were excruciating at the time, I wouldn't trade a minute of the pain for all the growth and learning that came from them. In those times, He drew me close to Him... even if I couldn't see Him or feel Him at the time. Although it's taken many of those dark times, I've learned that pulling into Him is the safest and most peaceful place one could ever "weather" a storm.

*~* Each person that has touched my life in some way. Some were there for only an instant, whereas others I'm still enjoying the blessing. I know that each person is a precious blessing from Him. I just hope that I'm learning (and learned) what I was supposed to from each individual. I'm in awe at the beautiful way He uses us to influence, love and support one another. I know that He has used many sisters to help carry me in the last few years, and each time footprints have been engraved on my heart, reminding me of the love I was given when I needed it the most. It's amazing to me how intricately woven we are... how much He demonstrates His love for us through others.

I have many more things to be thankful for, but I think I'll continue my list offline. :) I hope that each of you have blessings to be thankful for. My prayer is that no matter how grim things seem to be for you that you are able to see that you aren't alone. And that He has not only provided for you in the past, He will continue to provide for you. Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your friends and family, and remember to thank our wonderful God for all He's done.

I love you all!

"Give thanks for the Lord, for He is good." Psalm 136:1

1 comment:

The Cohen's said...

I am so very thankful for you too, Tee. :) I love youl.