Thursday, July 24, 2008

In Awe Of Him

It's been a few weeks since I've sat down to post, and I just feel as though my heart is overflowing with God's amazing love and I need a way to expend some of it. So... here I am at the keyboard.

The last few weeks have provided some different emotions for me. I don't quite understand God's timing, nor do I grasp His amazing providence in all of it. It seems as though people are often taken out of our lives as quickly as they come in. Have you ever felt like you're just starting to develop a friendship with someone and they move, or circumstances change, and that friendship is put on hold? Or that when one gets put one a hold, a few more opportunities make themselves present? That is God... from the first hello to the "this isn't good-bye".

I'm in awe at the wonder of our God. One of the Bible Studies I'm in is "Discerning The Voice of God". Tonight, the lesson was on the time in your life that God speaks to you (or seems to the most). It's not when we're high on life and everything seems to be going exactly as we would like. It's not when He has blessed us a thousand times over and we see the glory of Him everywhere we look. It's when we're at the some of our darkest times, and the most in need. I'm not saying we're at the bottom of the trough, but we're not sailing on smooth waters either. And I think it's because we (in the flesh) have to be ready to listen to God. We don't walk through our days anticipating to hear him in our activies (though we should!). We often times don't allow him in until we've made so many wrong turns that we can't figure out which way is up. I think that the challenge for each of us is to live each day focusing on God and HIS plans for our lives. He may be talking to you as you do the dishes, or run your errands. He may be speaking to you all day, in many ways, and because you aren't listening you miss having conversation with God! Can you imagine what it would be like to hear God all the time? He wants us to have intimate fellowship with him. That's right, intimate! He wants to have conversation with you. As much as I know it, sometimes I just can't fathom that the creator of our universe knows me and loves me so much that he actually wants to talk to ME!? Wow...

I feel as though my soul is overflowing with the love of God. He has reached into my soul and lit an eternal flame that just continues to grow with each passing day. I feel like I need to make up for lost time and learn everything I possibly can about it. I want to learn His word so I can better know Him and His personality, and just how much he desires for each and every one of us. I want to enjoy the beautiful fellowship that he has so richly blessed me with. Look around at the people you have in your life... do you think they are there by mere coincidence? Do you think that just by chance they happened to walk into your life and be as wonderful as they are? I think that God knows what you will need, and he ALWAYS provides. I look at the people he has placed before me and I'm humbled beyond explanation. I know that NO ONE will ever be able to replace my mom in my life. The gaping hole that was left by her death can only be filled by Jesus himself, not by another person in the flesh. He has, however, placed some amazing people in my life to be wonderful examples of his love... that will encourage me to seek Him when I'm lost in the darkness, that will love me as He does simply because He has shown that love to them. I have no words to describe the gratitude and esteem I hold for God and the work he has and continues to do in my life. There is a book by Max Lucado called "When God Whispers Your Name". In that book, he talks about Heroes. We're not talking about Superman or Spiderman, we're talking about everyday heroes that walk among us each day. So let me ask you, what qualifies someone as a hero to you? Is it super powers? Is it the way that good things just seem to follow them everywhere they go? Is it someone who has reached deep into the core of your heart and touched you so deeply that are you forever changed? Is it someone who lives and breathes God and leads be example, and yet they don't see that they make an impact because they are, after all, just doing what they know? I have probably dozen people that are close to me (some not as close as they used to be) that are heroes to me... each of them for different reasons, but I am blessed richly by their presence in my life. And each of those people is a gift from God. Think about your heroes and those that mean a lot to you, and TELL THEM! What a wonderful thing to hear from someone: "You're a hero to me because...."

I'm going to end this with a few quotes. One is from a friend, and I don't know where she got it, but it really struck a cord with me and made me smile. Maybe this impacted me because I've been told I wouldn't go anywhere, and now I can see just how far I've come.

"When someone tells you that you can't go any further, just tell them to look behind you and see how far you've come."

And the second one is a scripture that was pointed out to me this week by someone very special. I think that God uses people at different times and in different ways. Right now, my heart is being changed by Him, and he's using many people to help drive his points home. I think this is a great reflection of our God.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your mind in Christ Jesus." --Philippians 4:6-7

The emphasis is mine, and I did it for a reason. How many times have you read this and maybe bypassed the part that says "with thanksgiving, present"? I know I have. Simply put, thank God for everything, even before He has responded. Rejoice in Him, for he is AMAZING, LOVING, and so very good. I don't know about you, but I'm glad that His peace guards my heart and my mind.

I'm grateful for my family and friends tonight, and all of my heroes. You help shape me and refine me, and I'm so happy that God has entrusted such wonderful people. :) May you all see the blessings that are surrounding you this very minute... don't miss them, you may miss God's smile.

In Him,
T

No comments: